Friday 30 April 2010

Surat al-Kahf, 65-78

A PERSON OF KNOWLEDGE




They found a servant of Ours whom We had granted mercy from Us and whom We had also given knowledge direct from Us.



Musa said to him, ‘May I follow you on condition that you teach me some of the right guidance you have been taught?’

He said, ‘You will not be able to bear with me. How indeed could you bear with patience something you have not encompassed in your knowledge?’

Musa said, ‘You will find me patient, if Allah wills, and I will not disobey you in any matter.’ He said, ‘Then if you follow me, do not question me about anything until I myself make mention of it to you.’ They continued until they boarded a boat and he scuppered it. Then Musa said, ‘Did you scupper it so that its owners would be drowned? This is truly a dreadful thing that you have done!’


He said, ‘Did I not say that you would not be able to bear with me?’


Musa said, ‘Do not take me to task because I forgot. Do not demand of me something which is too difficult.’ So they went on until they met a youngster whom he killed.

Musa said, ‘Have you killed a boy who has done no wrong, without it being in retaliation for someone else? This is truly an appalling thing that you have done!’

He said, ‘Did I not tell you that you would not be able to bear with me?’ Musa said, ‘If I ask you about anything after this, then you should no longer keep me company. I will have given you excuse enough.’

So they went on until they reached the inhabitants of a town. They asked them for food but they refused them hospitality. They found there a wall about to fall down and he built it up.

Musa said, ‘If you had wanted, you could have taken a wage for doing that.’

He said, ‘This is where you and I part company. I will let you know the explanation of those things about which you were not able to restrain yourself. (Surat al-Kahf, 65-78)



Source

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails