Thursday 29 April 2010

The Provision of a Traveler

The Provision of a Traveler [this world to the next]




Anas reports that when Salmân [Al-Fârsî] – Allâh be pleased with him – was ill, Sa’d visited him and found him crying, so he asked him:

O my brother, what makes you cry?
Did you not accompany the Messenger of Allâh – Allah’s peace and blessings be upon him? Did you not do such-and-such [good deeds]? He replied,

“I am not crying over any one of two things: I am not crying out of love and yearning for this world nor out of dislike for the hereafter, but I am crying because Allâh’s Messenger – Allah’s peace and blessings be upon him – took a covenant from me about something I think I have only transgressed. He made me promise that it is enough for anyone only to have enough [of this world] as would suffice as the provisions of a traveler, but I think I have only gone too far. As for you o Sa’d, fear Allâh when you judge, and when you distribute anything and when you think about doing anything.”

Thâbit (one of the reporters) said,

“And it reached me that [when he died] he left only about twenty dirham of spending he had.”

Ibn Mâjah, Al-Sunan. Shaykh Al-Albânî graded this narration sahîh. See sahîh wa Da’î/f Sunan Ibn Mâjah no. 4104.

Source: Sayings of the Salaf

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails