Saturday 4 October 2014

Hajj - How It All Began

Hajj - How It All Began


source: http://www.islamicbulletin.org/newsletters/issue_4/hajj.aspx


Prophet Ibrahim (Abraham) (A.S.) and Prophet Isma'il (Ishmael) (A.S.)

Nearly four thousand and six years ago, in the Summerian town of Ur, the capital of the Babylonian Kings, in the valley of river Euphrates (which at present is Southern Iraq), lived a young man named Ibrahim (Abraham)(PBUH). The people of Ur had once worshipped God but as time passed they forgot the true religion and started praying to idols, statues made of wood or clay and sometimes even precious stones.
The Prophet Ibrahim (PBUH) was the son of Terah Azar, an idol carver and a staunch idol worshiper. He did all he could do to compel Ibrahim (AS) to worship the idols, but he flatly refused to do so.
Even as a small child Ibrahim (AS) could not understand how his people, and especially his father, could make these images with their own hands, call them gods, and then worship them. He had always refused to join his people when they paid respect to these statues. Instead he would leave the town and sit alone, thinking about the heavens and the world around him. He was sure his people were doing wrong and so alone he searched for the right way.
One clear night as he sat staring at the sky he saw a beautiful shining star, so beautiful that he cried out: "This is my Lord."(Qur'an 6:76) He looked at it in awe for some time, until suddenly it began to fade and then it disappeared. He turned away in disappointment saying: "I love not those that set."(Qur'an 6:76) On another night Ibrahim (AS) was again looking at the sky and he saw the rising moon, so big and bright. He said: "This is my Lord."(Qur'an 6:77) But it was not long before the moon set as well. Then he said,"Unless my Lord guides me, I shall surely be among those who go astray."(Qur'an 6:77)
Abraham (PBUH) then saw the beauty and splendor of the sunrise and decided that the sun must be the biggest and most powerful thing in the universe. But for the third time he was wrong, for the sun set at the end of the day.
"When he saw the sun rising (in splendor) he said: "This is my Lord; this is the greatest (of all)." But when the sun set, he said: "O my people! I am indeed free from your (guilt) of giving partners to God. For me, I have set my face, firmly and truly, towards Him Who created the heavens and earth, and never shall I give partners to The Almighty." (Qur'an 6:78-79)
It was then that he realized that God is the Most Powerful, the Creator of the stars, the moon, the sun, the earth and of all living things. Suddenly he felt himself totally at peace, because he felt that he had found the Truth.
Speaking highly of him, the Holy Qur'an states: "Ibrahim was indeed a model, devoutly obedient to The Almighty, and true in faith, and he was not of those who set up equals to The Almighty. He showed his gratitude for the favors of The Almighty, Who chose him and guided him to a straight path. And We gave him good in this world, and he will be, in the Hereafter, in the ranks of the Righteous." (Qur'an 16:120-122)

The Prophet Ibrahim's Teachings

Gradually the Prophet was commanded to commence preaching. Prophet Ibrahim (AS) was a man of strong will and determination and he argued with his people with great vigor regarding the folly of worshipping the idols.
"And rehearse to them (something of) Abraham's story. Behold, he said to his father and his people: "What worship ye?
They said: "We worship idols, and we remain constantly in attendance on them."
He said: "Do they listen to you when ye call (on them),
Or do you good or harm?"
They said: "Nay, but we found our fathers doing thus (what we do)."
He said: "Do ye then see whom ye have been worshipping,
"Ye and your fathers before you?
"For they are enemies to me; not so the Lord and Cherisher of the Worlds;
"Who created me, and it is He who guides me;
"Who gives me food and drink,
"And when I am ill, it is He who cures me;
"Who will cause me to die, and then to live (again);
"and who, I hope, will forgive me my faults on the Day of judgment.
"O my Lord! Bestow wisdom on me, and join me with the righteous;
"Grant me honorable mention on the tongue of truth among the latest (generations);
"Make me one of the inheritors of the Garden of Bliss;
"Forgive my father, for that he is among those astray;
"And let me not be in disgrace on the Day when (men) will be raised up;
"The Day whereon neither wealth nor sons will avail,
"But only he (will prosper) that brings to God a sound heart.
(Qur'an 26:69-89)


continue at
http://www.islamicbulletin.org/newsletters/issue_4/hajj.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails